Making Glazes with
6th & 7th February 2021
(10am to 4.30pm)
Venue: Gallery 1673 @ The Clay Loft
Gain and understanding of making and using glazes focusing on how using different fluxes affects colouring oxides in a glaze. All practical aspects of making and firing glazes will be covered.
A rare opportunity to gain an insight into the materials that you may or may not know are in the glazes that you use. You will gain a basic understanding of what these materials are and how they make a difference to your glazes through making glaze tests. You will make basic glaze recipes from scratch and see the results. You will also explore these through colour blending to create further results. Extended knowledge will be gained through sharing your results with each other.
· Understand what the individual glaze ingredients do in a glaze
· Understand how to put together different ingredients to create a glaze
· Weigh different materials and mix glazes tests
· Reflect on fired glaze tests and analyse results
· Understand a basic awareness of Ceramics glaze materials Health and Safety in a workshop setting with due regard to self and others
Class format and activities
You will be listening and note taking about the chemistry of materials. You will be creating test tiles and batch glazes and firing these to stoneware temperatures. You will be creating colour blends using two glazes to see the potential of the glaze materials .
The Clay Loft is a trading name of TKJ Ceramics Ltd, Registered Company Number 10496837 (Head office address: Little Kestrels, St Chloe, AMBERLEY, Stroud Gloucestershire, GL55AS). Trading address: The Clay Loft, Inchbrook Mill, Gyddynap Lane, Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, GL55EZ.
See our TERMS AND CONDITIONS